First of all, it is important to check the type of lampshade you have.
Water can be used to clean a shade only if the fabric of the lampshade is stitched onto the frame. If it is glued on, it cannot be submerged in water because it will break the glue bond.
How to Clean a Stitched Lampshade
Stitched lampshades can be cleaned with this process:
- Dip the shade into a container filled with luke-warm clean water and a mild detergent
- Using a clean cloth, gently wash the shade with circular movements
- Rinse with clean water until all soap is removed
- Using two terrycloth towels inside and out, blot all excess water
- Hang the shade and allow it to air dry completely